Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tailgate Jambalaya

Fall 2010 I adapted the following Jambalaya recipe for the Florida v. LSU tailgate.
It was amazing (it tasted better than it looks - swear).
I had 4 crockpots going at once because we had a ton of people to feed!


Got this recipe from:

Slow Cooker Jambalaya:

Prep Time:
15 min
Cook Time:
7 hr 0 min
Serves:
4 servings
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/2 pound andouille sausage, diced
  • 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 pound frozen peeled and cooked shrimp, thawed
  • 2 cups cooked rice
Directions:
In a slow cooker, combine chicken, sausage, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery, and chicken broth. Stir in oregano, Cajun seasoning, hot sauce, bay leaves, and thyme.
Cover, and cook on LOW for 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours. Stir in the thawed shrimp, cover and cook until the shrimp is heated through, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves and spoon mixture over cooked rice.

NOTE:
except I probably did double each of the spices (oregano/thyme) and 3x the hot sauce. I also put extra chicken (like 1.5 pounds) bc I was trying to make it more ‘substantial’. And instead of 2 cups of rice, I actually did 4.5 (18 total cups for 4 crockpots worth).  (The only reason I did way more chicken and way more rice was bc I was trying to make it for so many people – it’s probably even better doing it the right way!)
I used Tony Chachere’s for the Cajun seasoning.

So obviously… I didn’t really follow this recipe very much but it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment