Monday, March 21, 2011

The Lady's Creamy Mac and Cheese - in a crock pot!

Last night I made:
Paual Deen's Creamy Macaroni and Cheese, courtesy of this Food Network site:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/creamy-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

it was pretty good, it is in no way gluten free.
Comments included, but were not limited to: "Did you get this mac & cheese from Boston Market? because its amazing, maybe better than Boston Market." and "This is the bomb-diggety."



I had read on a few other sites where it had been posted that people tried the recipe without eggs.  I ended up deciding to use 2 eggs instead of the 3... but i think had I added the third it would have been just as good or better.
NOTE:
This is NOT a Kraft Macaroni and Cheese tasting mac... its a little more sophisticated.

Ingredients:
2 Cups uncooked elbow macaroni (I actually used rotini)
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces (1/2 a stick)
2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar Cheese
3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed Cheddar Cheese soup
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 Cup of whole milk
1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

Directions:
Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

* note: I didnt have 3 hours - so I put the CP on high for 1 1/2... it either worked swimmingly, or I contracted Salmonela - so I'll keep you posted.

You may be thinking to yourself: "That does sound delicious, but Paula Deen's recipes are rich in flavor and in calories" - that is why I made: "Oven-Baked Super Crispy Fried Chicken" to offset the Mac.
Only 290 calories a serving.

Recipe can be found here:
http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/super-crunchy-fried-chicken-315

it was really tasty - the only thing is - I had to double the buttermilk concotion because my bowl was more deep than shallow I guess... I used more hot pepper sauce than it called for, and along with being generous with the other spices added to the "breading" I also added Tony Chachere's for extra flavor.
Note: This recipe says it only takes 16-18 minutes to cook, but it took me more like 30 minutes - at 18 minutes the middle of the breast was still very raw.

and to my two followers: Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment